The #CRAPPYARTCHALLENGE — HOW TO JOIN:
• POST a piece to Instagram that you’ve deemed crappy– a lost cause, a reject… one you’ve abandoned*.
• ANNOUNCE your intention to revive it, rescue it, give it some respect…use the hashtag #crappyartchallenge.
• Now >> FINISH that piece!!
Finish it with freedom, experimentation, humor, and whatever else keeps you moving through that place of “THIS is CRAP!”
(LISTEN: Shut down that part of your brain, laugh it off, tell it to take a hike, do whatever you need to do, but go forth and FINISH THAT PIECE! #DoItForYOU )
• POST TO INSTAGRAM.* Post your finished piece to Instagram with the hashtag #crappyartchallenge, so we all can see it, tribe out together and send you #goodvibes and positivity!!
* YOU can announce post and post the finished art in the SAME POST, if you like. Totally up to YOU!
THE STORY BEHIND THE “CRAPPY ART CHALLENGE”…
This painting was how I used up the rest of my palette after swatching my new Holbein Artist Gouache set yesterday.
So… This piece started out rough…
SO rough, in fact, that I publicly shouted out my intention to start the #crappyartchallenge on my Instagram story.
(What is the #crappyartchallenge ? KEEP READING!)
Suffice to say, I beat the odds with this piece! I actually love ❤️ how it came out…
But, if you saw it in its early stages, and you felt what I was feeling while making it, you wouldn’t know it. It was a mess… a Hot Mess. 🔥 I thought it was a goner. #notkidding
Sometimes, when we think it might be a lost cause and we are at the precipice, we just need to keep going and finish what we started.
For ONE thing, there’s a lot of power in just FINISHING what we START. Most likely, we will be freer to just experiment, and we’ll probably pick up a new method to try again later.
But, ANOTHER thing is: MAYBE it was actually just going through the UGLY phase, and it was on its way to becoming a beautiful SWAN.
If we jump ship EARLY, we’ll NEVER know.
It’s for this (and other reasons) I think we should celebrate our cast-off’s and would-be failures with the #crappyartchallenge . We can laugh in the face of self-criticism, and celebrate the PROCESS (instead of focusing on the outcome)!